Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you looking for a place to unwind whilst taking the oppertunity to make new friends?, then this is the Forum for you. Join us whilst we discuss and debate a wide range of topics, theres something for everyone so jump right in.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what to do with stale bread.

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin Wendy
Admin
Admin Wendy

what to do with stale bread.  Empty
PostSubject: what to do with stale bread.    what to do with stale bread.  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:20 am

Bread that is no longer soft and spongy – past its prime. But, as long as it hasn’t molded, it can still be made into perfectly good dishes!
First, to keep bread to going stale – If you know you aren’t going to eat it all before it goes stale, pop it in the freezer. That way it will be fresh {not molded} when you need some bread for a dish. But, we aren’t always proactive are we? So the bread goes stale on the counter… now what?

* Make Toast. Bread that isn’t soft anymore still makes perfectly great toast. Top with cheese, cinnamon sugar, or peanut butter and you’ve got a great breakfast on the run.

* Make French Toast. French Toast is actually better when you make it with day old, or stale bread. The bread is firmer, so it doesn’t fall apart when you dip it into the custard {milk and eggs}

* Make Croutons. This is especially good for stale french bread. Cube up the bread, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with kosher {course} salt and any other spices you like {such as garlic powder} and bake in the oven at 400 degrees for approximately 8 to 10 minutes.

* Make Bread Crumbs. Lots of dishes call for breadcrumbs – chicken parmesan, meatballs, meatloaf, topping for casseroles, etc. Why pay for breadcrumbs when you can make your own from stale bread. Just place you bread into the food processor and whir until you have bread crumbs! I store mine in a freezer safe plastic container {or bag), label and pop into the freezer so they are ready to use whenever!

* Crazy Bread. My mom used to use up leftover hotdog and hamburger buns by serving them toasted with butter and garlic powder {like garlic bread} with dinner. Delicious with pasta.

* Make Individual Pizzas. Got leftover french bread or hamburger buns? Let the kiddos help make their own lunch. Spread a little marinara sauce and cheese {and other toppings if you’ve got them on hand} to make individual pizzas.

* Bird/Duck Food. Pop it in the freezer and save it for a fun day at the park. It makes for some great, cheap fun with your little ones. =)

wholesomemommy.com
Back to top Go down
https://its-all-about-you.forumotion.co.uk
Admin Wendy
Admin
Admin Wendy

what to do with stale bread.  Empty
PostSubject: Re: what to do with stale bread.    what to do with stale bread.  Icon_minitimeTue Jan 25, 2011 12:22 am

here is a tip from the same site....

I started a new practice earlier this week that kind of ties in with this post. Noah doesn’t like to eat the crusts on his bread, so I always end up cutting them off. I had read a tip that you should cut them off before you make the sandwich and put them in a big baggie in the freezer so you can make breadcrumbs out of them instead of just trashing them. Since my child lives on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, I already have enough breadcrumbs to make about 10,432 meatballs

Melanie
Back to top Go down
https://its-all-about-you.forumotion.co.uk

what to do with stale bread.
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: In The Kitchen :: Bread-
Jump to: