Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Are you looking for a place to unwind whilst taking the oppertunity to make new friends?, then this is the Forum for you. Join us whilst we discuss and debate a wide range of topics, theres something for everyone so jump right in.

HomePortalLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Admin Wendy
Admin
Admin Wendy

Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ? Empty
PostSubject: Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ?   Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ? Icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:27 pm

There are different definitions of Astronomy. Some define it as a branch of science dedicated to the study of the motions and natures of celestial bodies, like planets, stars, and galaxies. Others say it is the study of objects and matter outside the earth's atmosphere and of their physical and chemical properties. Still others would say it is the study of everything, because it's a study of the universe and everything is part of the universe.
All three definitions are accurate, but however you define it, there are many fields within Astronomy. Cosmologists study the Universe as a whole, including its beginnings. Astrometrists measure great distances. Planetologists study planets within our own Solar System as well as those orbiting distant stars. Radio Astronomers use radio-telescopes to study the Universe. There are also Mathematical Astronomers who use numbers, calculations and statistics to explain the universe.

Astronomy is not a "stand-alone" science. It combines areas from a number of other fields, including mathematics, chemistry, geology, biology and physics. In fact, physics is such an integral part of the field that many astronomers are also known as Astrophysicists.

The study of our universe is not new, astronomy is the oldest science. People have been looking up, trying to explain the universe for as long as there have been people. Some of the earliest Astronomers were priests and holy men, studying the movement of celestial bodies to determine celebrations and planting cycles.

The ancient Greeks were the first to start developing astronomy theories about the design of the Universe.

There have been many astronomers throughout history who have played important roles in the science. Many have later been proved wrong as our knowledge and technology improved, but if not for the earlier work, later scientists would have had nothing on which to base their research.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
https://its-all-about-you.forumotion.co.uk
justbill

justbill

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ?   Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 8:33 pm

I love astronomy. If I had a better command of other subjects, like math, I would be "in heaven" as an astronomer. I would have been an astrophysicist. I soak up those TV shows about how planets are made, how they function in the solar system, etc. Two moons around Jupiter have been found to be very geologically active. Wild stuff. :) Thank you for posting this Wen, it got me going!
Back to top Go down
Admin Wendy
Admin
Admin Wendy

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ?   Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ? Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 9:14 pm

Glad you enjoyed it hun xxx
Back to top Go down
https://its-all-about-you.forumotion.co.uk
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ?   Astronomy-What Is Astronomy ? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 1